When I first heard about that Troon will manage the Deering Bay Yacht & Country Club in Coral Gables, Florida, I could not imagine that is a very eventful place. Deering Bay Yacht & Country Club is a unique private club for many reasons:
- It is the only private country club with a deep water marina and a championship golf course between the Florida Keys and Palm Beach County.
- Its original name is King Bay Yacht & Country Club. It was reopened in 1990 as Deering Bay Yacht & Country Club.
- 284 residents – for many of them it is their second home
- Its original 18-hole, par-72, 6834 yards long golf course was designed by Mark Mahannah (1957).
- The golf course was built in two stages: front 9 was built in 1961, while the back 9 in 1962.
- The golf course in the current format is a result of Arnold Palmer’s and Ed Seay’s redesign: par 71, 6,740-yard course (according to The Florida Golf Course Seeker the length of the course is now 6503 yards after Arnold Palmer’s another redesign in 2007.).
Other useful information about the Deering Bay Yacht & Country Club:
- 30,000 square foot, Mediterranean architecture-inspired clubhouse includes two outstanding dining options as well as a patio terrace for al fresco dining.
- 7 Har-Tru clay tennis courts, a fitness center, yoga studio, junior Olympic-sized pool and social events for all ages.
- 3 private, deep-water marinas offering dockage space for vessels from 25 to 120 feet in length.