Troon North Golf Club‘s Pinnacle Course (in Scottsdale, Arizona) will undergo in the following months a 4-month course enhancement project. This is a Tom Weiskopf designed golf course, just like the other Troon North Golf Club course the Monument.
The Monument Course, which underwent a similar improvement project last summer, will remain open for daily-fee play this summer.
The 2017 Monument Course improvements were the first major changes to either of the award-winning courses since a 2007 renovation, reconfiguration, and rerouting.
In 2007, under Weiskopf’s direction, the 36-hole facility was reconfigured by blending the two courses together and changing the sequence in which the holes were played.
The Pinnacle project at Troon North Club will include:
- Green complexes update to their original shape, size, and contours by utilizing GPS coordinates gathered from Weiskopf’s original design.
- Greens will be resurfaced with creeping A4 bent grass and collars will be resurfaced with TifGrand semi-dwarf Bermuda grass. The TifGrand is the world’s first seed and pollen sterile (triploid hybrid) Bermuda scientifically developed to thrive in 60–70% continuous shade (Approximately 5-Hours Direct Sun). Features among the others:
- Reduced Water Requirements &
- Significantly Reduced Fertilizer (N) Requirements.
- Bunker renovations will include updated drainage in all greenside and fairway bunkers, new bunker liners and new Pioneer bunker sand. The Pioneer bunker sand is characterized by:
- A higher-than-average angle of repose to adhere to bunker faces
- Pro-level firm set-up
- Same materials (turfgrass, bunker sand etc.) are used on both golf courses of Troon North Golf Club.
Troon became majority owner of Troon North Golf Club in 2014. They replaced Starwood Capital and Goldman Sachs as majority shareholders.
What is interesting to me that Greg Norman’s organization, Great White Shark Enterprises, is an investor in Kohlberg & Company (a financial backer of Troon).
In 2016, I read that Troon North Golf Club in North Scottsdale is for sale. Are they really preparing the golf club for sale or they changed their mind?