The Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore designed Plantation Course at Kapalua Golf & Tennis (Maui, Hawaii) is expected to undergo a multi-million dollar enhancement project aimed at refining and revitalizing the 27-year-old golf course.
No worries, this year you will still able to play since the on-course work will kick off only in February of 2019 and be completed in November 2019.
A very impressive team was built to carry out the enhancement project at Kapalua Golf:
- Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw;
- Troon’s Design/Development/Agronomy team;
- long-time Maui resident and Golf Channel personality Mark Rolfing.
The enhancements at Kapalua Golf’s Plantation Course will include:
- resurfacing all greens with Tif Eagle Bermuda;
- renovating every bunker on the golf course;
- re-grassing tees, fairways, and roughs with state-of-the-art Celebration Bermuda turf.
- New tee complexes will also be added, including additional forward tees to help increase guest enjoyment and several new tournament tees will also be built.
If this still not enough, they will start this summer also:
- Upgrading/renovating the Plantation Golf Shop;
- Relocate the Bay Course Operations and Golf Shop to the Village Center, providing an even better “sense of arrival” for guests playing the Bay Course;
- Redesign and modernize the Kapalua Golf Academy practice facility.
It is a good news for the Kapalua Golf & Tennis that early this year the Hawai‘i Tourism Authority (HTA), signed a four-year extension with the PGA Tour. This is important because the Plantation Course is the site of the PGA TOUR’s Sentry Tournament of Champions each January.
The Hawai‘i Tourism Authority and PGA TOUR have been partners since 2001. Did you know that Hawaii’s golf industry worth $1 billion?