We can all agree on that 2018 was a great year for the Portuguese golf tourism industry:
- Just like in 2017 Portugal won the World’s Best Golf Destination title at the World Golf Awards.
- I go even further, Portugal was selected as Europe’s Best Golf Destination.
- Monte Rei Golf & Country Club won Portugal’s Best Golf Course 2018 at the latest World Golf Awards.
Sustainable golf is not only important to Carnoustie Golf Links but also to Vidago Palace (in North Portugal). At the 2018 IAGTO Awards they were awarded for Outstanding Commitment to Sustainable Golf.
This recognition of Vidago Palace came 4 years after winning the Community Integration category in the 2015 IAGTO Sustainability Awards, the 118-year-old GEO Certified resort has now been given a Special Award in the 2019edition.
Would you believe that Vidago Palace used to be the summer residence of King Manuel II, the last Portuguese monarch?
It was opened in 1936, with a course designed by the Scottish specialist Philip Mackenzie Ross, the Vidago Palace Hotel Golf Course (18-hole, Par-72, 6308 meters) was renovated in 2010 by Cameron Powell.
Most recently Vidago Palace Golf Course went through a £44 million refurbishment. The golf course was remodeled to include 12 new fairways that brought it up to championship length.
I thought to highlight Vidago Palace, because when you are planning your next golf holiday in Portugal then it is advisable to be aware of the offers of North Portugal. Here you can discover more golf courses in Northern Portugal.
If you plan to spend your time around Lisbon or Obidos, then I can strongly recommend Praia Del Rey & West Cliffs Links. The West Cliffs Links is Cynthia Dye-designed links course (7,003 yards) right next to Praia Del Rey.
This is the 1st Dye-designed golf course in Portugal and the 4th in Europe. It is a very new golf course. It was opened in June 2017.
If you are looking for high-end, premium golf resorts in the Algarve, then you cannot make a bad decision by selecting one of these resorts:
- Monte Rei Golf & Country Club: according to my sources they will open a new golf course next year in addition to the existing Jack Nicklaus-designed 18-hole golf course.
- The 4-star Amendoeira Golf Resort: Sir Nick Faldo (6598m PAR 72 championship course) & Christy O’Connor Jr. (6708 m, PAR 72, 18-hole golf course) designed golf courses. Both courses have got even a 9 hole, PAR 3 floodlit course. It is situated near the town of Silves and is a 35-minute drive from Faro airport.
- The 5-star Penina Hotel & Golf Resort (since 1966): is a pleasant Par 35 with 2987 meters, taking advantage of the principles laid down by Sir Henry Cotton with water hazards playing their tricks best; the Penina Golf Resort course is an opportunity to fine-tune one’s short game while providing a gentle training ground for beginners. It hosted 10 Portugal Opens in the past. The par-5 fifth makes for the best risk-and-reward challenge.
- The Vilamoura Dom Pedro Golf Collection. Probably you could hear the most about the Victoria Golf Course (Arnold Plamer design) as it is hosting the annual Portugal Masters on the European Tour. I think what is interesting from the Dom Pedro Golf Collection is the Old Course Golf Club. These two courses are really near to each other. Let’s say within 10 minutes walk.
- Vale Do Lobo – their two 18-hole championship golf courses, the renowned golf club, exceptional facilities and exciting year-round tournaments and competitions. The good news is that you don’t have to be a scratch player to appreciate Vale do Lobo’s golf courses.
- Quinta do Lago – Today the resort’s three courses are among Europe’s best and are joined by world-class golf facilities such as the Paul McGinley Golf Academy and Southern Europe’s only TaylorMade Performance Center. These exceptional golfing credentials, including being named ‘Europe’s Best Golf Destination’ at the World Golf Awards in 2015 and 2016, and being given the ‘Editors’ Choice Award for Best International Resorts’ in 2016 and 2017, by Golf Digest, ensure Quinta do Lago’s place among the world’s golfing elite.
If these options are still not enough, then how about trying the Spanish Real Club de Golf El Prat?
These are the most interesting facts about this golf club:
- Real Club de Golf El Prat was built on a 518-acre estate of BonVilar in 2002.
- a 10-time host of the Spanish Open;
- boasts 45 holes over five Greg Norman-designed courses;
- an exclusive and private club but arrangements can be made to play here;
- one of the 125 Platinum Clubs of the World – Five-star Private Club – recognition of attaining a standard of excellence by an international panel of experts, historians and connoisseurs in a confidential ballot, as well as being granted the Golden Plaque of the Royal Order of Sporting Merit.
Here you can find some more information where worth spending your next Portuguese & Spanish golf holiday in the autumn.
This article was brought to you by Tee Times Golf Agency.