The previous version of Callaway Golf Apex irons was about to provide confidence to golfers to play any shot type. Whereas, the new Callaway Golf Apex Muscleback Irons (Price: $1,299.99; Available from 11/3) are intended for very low handicap golfers (under 10). Before I share with you the innovations in the new Callaway Golf Apex Muscleback Irons, I would like to show you 2 very interesting stats:
- The USGA found that in the last 25 years the average USGA handicap for a man has improved from 16.3 to 14.4. A similar improvement, we can find among women: from 29.7 in 1991 to 26.1 in 2016.
- The driving distance between 2003 and 2016 has increased by approximately 1.2% (Source: USGA/R&A Study).
It would be nice to find the number and share of low handicap golfers in various leading golf markets (e.g. US, UK, Korea, Sweden, Germany, Japan, France etc.).
Now let’s move on to the product details.
Callaway Golf Apex Muscleback Irons – the technical details
- Tour Shaping
- a classic shape and style, with a traditional, slightly thinner topline,
- bright chrome finish,
- this is Callaway Golf’s smallest blade head shape.
- they advanced the CG positioning to optimize the CG for outstanding control.
- 20V Grooves
- They are for reducing fliers from the rough to deliver even more control.
- 1025 Carbon Steel
Frankly speaking, I was expecting much more from Callaway Golf. I know it is hard to come up with innovations within a short period of time.
This is why golf equipment manufacturers should think about what kind of added value services (in addition to custom fitting) they can provide that help golfer to enjoy more the game and his golf clubs. It can be for instance lounges at major airports (similar to the Mastercard Airport Lounge) or caddy service or golf bag transport etc.
As a first step, companies like Callaway Golf should expand their service capabilities and make aware their customers/golfers about the value provided by the added value services. Just think about the typical problems of golfers (aka “customers processes’) on the golf course and on the way to the golf club.